- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Philippa moves up
- Updated: November 3, 2011
By Mark Etheridge
Our top para-equestrian rider Phillipa Johnson has achieved another milestone in her European base of Belgium.
Riding her relatively new mount, Verdi, she achieved one her goals for 2011 on Wednesday.
That was to progress to the Prix St George. She explained to Road to London 2012 on Thursday. “It was┬á a public holiday here in Belgium and we found ourselves in competition in the middle of the week! We competed at the CDN Hulsterlo (able-bodied) which although it’s a long two hour drive because it is outside Antwerpen, the venue is worth the effort.
“We were second in the M10 with 67% out of a class of 17 horses. The most exciting part of this is that we have now scored enough points to move up to the Prix St George which was one of our major goals for this year.
“Verdi has done an extraordinary job this year, he has gained the points to move up four competitive levels in only seven months! ÔÇô we now have two competitions left before I leave to come back to SA in three weeks.”
The South African equestrian and sporting community will no doubt be holding thumbs as Johnson and Verdi ride their first Prix St George on Sunday.