- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Kevin into 2nd round
- Updated: October 25, 2011
Our top-ranked singles player, Kevin Anderson got off to a good start in the Erste Bank Open in Austria on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Anderson, who dropped one place to 32nd spot in the ATP Tour rankings on Monday ousted last year’s finalist Andreas Haider-Maurer of Austria 6-4 6-4 in the opening round.
Seeded sixth for this tournament, Anderson fired down 10 aces to Haider-Maurer’s eight and managed to break Haider-Maurer once in each set.
The match lasted an hour and 34 minutes in the Austrian capital of Vienna.
Next up for Anderson is the dangerous Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus, who defeated the 73rd-ranked Ryan Sweeting of America in straight sets 6-4 6-2.