- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
SA team 10th in China
- Updated: October 21, 2011
South African based MTN-Qhubeka cycle team find themselves 10th in the team category after Friday’s second stage of the Tour of Hainan in China.
Aisan Racing’s Nakajima Yasuharo took line honours in the 88.6-kilometre stage in Wuzhishan with our Reinardt Janse van Rensburg fourth across the line after Hasuharu had broken away from the bunch to clock a time of 3hr 43min 39sec.
Janse van Rensburg was credited with a time 59sec slower along with a group of 74 riders. France’s Justin Jules (Velo-Club La Pomme Marseille) retains the overall lead in the General Classification. “Mistimed our run into the line…one rider stayed away. I got third in bunch,” Janse van Rensburg said on his Twitter feed.
After two days racing on the hot and humid Asian island, Janse van Rensburg finds himself lying seventh in the GC, 14 seconds down.
Next best South African is JC Nel in 36th spot (27sec adrift).
In the team classification, Drapac outfit lead with a combined time of 23hr 52min 12sec with MTN-Qhubeka 10th 1:42 back.
Saturday’s third of nine stages is a 161.6 kilometre ride from Xinglong to Wenchang.