- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
Eight head to Eritrea
- Updated: October 21, 2011
A team of eight cyclists will do duty for Team South Africa at the African Continental Championships to be held in Asmara, Eritrea from 9-13 November.
Cycling South Africa announced the team on Friday and there’s little doubting the team’s aim will be to reclaim our rightful spot as African champions.
The women will have an extra incentive as they go all out to rake in maximum UCI qualification points for the 2012 Olympics. Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, fresh from her Amashova victory will lead the charge and will be joined by other Olympic hopefuls, Cherise Taylor, Joanna van de Winkel and Robyn de Groot. All of these women were very impressive at the recent World Championships in Copenhagen and should continue with that good form.
The men’s team is a strong one with a good mix of youth and experience. The team comes off a string of good results, with Louis Meintjes and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg fresh from a solid performance at the World Championships.
Young Van Rensburg has continued his good form with a stage victory in the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia, beating many seasoned Tour de France campaigners. Nolan Hoffman’s blistering pace to the line makes him a firm favorite should the race come down to a bunch sprint, as he demonstrated with his convincing victory at the recent Amashova event and Jaco Venter brings a wealth of international experience, which he ┬áwill put to good use in the team’s quest for gold.
The full team is:
Reinardt Janse van Rensburg
Ashleigh Moolman Pasio
Joanna van de Winkel
Robyn de Groot
Team Manager: Barry Austin
Mechanic and Masseur: still to be confirmed