- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Camp before Challenge
- Updated: October 21, 2011
Twenty-four of the country’s top men’s players will take part in a November training camp ahead of the Champions Challenge in Randburg from 24 November to December 4.
South African Hockey Association (SAHA) president Dave Carr released the names of the players on Friday.
The camp will get underway on 18 November after which national selection convener Mike Bechet and his panel will make┬á final decision on exactly which 18 players will don the green and gold for this important tournament to be played at Randburg Hockey Stadium.
The Champions Challenge features the eight countries ranked from ninth to 16th in the world and is a vital tournament for head coach Gregg Clark’s side as SASCOC has stipulated that the African continent’s champions must reach the final in order to be considered good enough to join Team South Africa at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The 24-player squad is made up of seven players from KZN Coastal, six from Southern Gauteng, five from Western Province, four from Northerns Blues and one each from Eastern Province and Amatole (Border).
Final training squad: Brendon Botes (Eastern Province), Jacques le Roux, Andrew Cronje, Austin Smith (capt), Ian Haley, Lloyd Norris-Jones (all Western Province), Rassie Pieterse, Lance Louw, Ricky West, Clinton Panther, Miguel da Graca, Thornton McDade (all Southern Gauteng), Gowan Jones, Lloyd Madsen, Gareth Carr, Wade Paton, Taine Paton, Tim Drummond, Marvin Harper (all KZN Coastal), Justin Reid-Ross, Rhett Halkett, Jonty Robinson, Nic Gonsalves (all Northerns Blues), Julian Hykes (Amatole-Border).