- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
SA claim four team medals in Cairo
- Updated: October 11, 2011
There were no individual titles but South Africa won four medals in the team competition at the Africa Fencing Championships in Cairo, Egypt.
There were silver medals in the women’s epee and sabre while in the men’s team there were two bronze medals in the epee and foil categories.
National senior championships for the year saw Cape fencers win two titles in the men’s competition. Jay New won the epee category and Jacques Viljoen was top dog in the foil. Oliver Mayhew of Northern Gauteng won the sabre title.
In the women’s competition, epee honors went to Gauteng’s Juliana Bennett, with Gauteng fencers also winning the other two categories: Kirsten Steyn (foil) and Adele du Plooy (sabre).