- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
SA claim four team medals in Cairo
- Updated: October 11, 2011
There were no individual titles but South Africa won four medals in the team competition at the Africa Fencing Championships in Cairo, Egypt.
There were silver medals in the women’s epee and sabre while in the men’s team there were two bronze medals in the epee and foil categories.
National senior championships for the year saw Cape fencers win two titles in the men’s competition. Jay New won the epee category and Jacques Viljoen was top dog in the foil. Oliver Mayhew of Northern Gauteng won the sabre title.
In the women’s competition, epee honors went to Gauteng’s Juliana Bennett, with Gauteng fencers also winning the other two categories: Kirsten Steyn (foil) and Adele du Plooy (sabre).