- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Simmonds into quarters
- Updated: October 6, 2011
Chanel Simmonds is through to the quarter-finals of the $25,000 ITF Futures tournament in Pelambang, Indonesia.
This after beating fellow South African qualifier Natasha Fourouclas in the first round in an unfortunate draw that pitched the two together, writes Mark Etheridge.
Simmonds beat Fourouclas 6-2 6-2 to go through to the next round. She then took on China’s Yi-Jing Zhao, a player she beat en route to the final of last week’s Garuda tournament, also in Indonesia.
Nineteen-year-old SImmonds, who hails from Kempton Park in Johannesburg, again proved too good and went through 6-1 7-5. The tournament’s third seed will now play seventh-seeded Luksiha Kumkhum of Thailand for a place in the semi-finals.