- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Simmonds into quarters
- Updated: October 6, 2011
Chanel Simmonds is through to the quarter-finals of the $25,000 ITF Futures tournament in Pelambang, Indonesia.
This after beating fellow South African qualifier Natasha Fourouclas in the first round in an unfortunate draw that pitched the two together, writes Mark Etheridge.
Simmonds beat Fourouclas 6-2 6-2 to go through to the next round. She then took on China’s Yi-Jing Zhao, a player she beat en route to the final of last week’s Garuda tournament, also in Indonesia.
Nineteen-year-old SImmonds, who hails from Kempton Park in Johannesburg, again proved too good and went through 6-1 7-5. The tournament’s third seed will now play seventh-seeded Luksiha Kumkhum of Thailand for a place in the semi-finals.