- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Simmonds into quarters
- Updated: October 6, 2011
Chanel Simmonds is through to the quarter-finals of the $25,000 ITF Futures tournament in Pelambang, Indonesia.
This after beating fellow South African qualifier Natasha Fourouclas in the first round in an unfortunate draw that pitched the two together, writes Mark Etheridge.
Simmonds beat Fourouclas 6-2 6-2 to go through to the next round. She then took on China’s Yi-Jing Zhao, a player she beat en route to the final of last week’s Garuda tournament, also in Indonesia.
Nineteen-year-old SImmonds, who hails from Kempton Park in Johannesburg, again proved too good and went through 6-1 7-5. The tournament’s third seed will now play seventh-seeded Luksiha Kumkhum of Thailand for a place in the semi-finals.