- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Cameron, Janke win Under-17 titles
- Updated: October 5, 2011
Cameron Coetzer and Janke van der Vyfer are the new South African Under-17 badminton champions.
The finals of the national championships were played in Bloemfontein on Tuesday and Boland’s Coetzer and Free State’s Van der Vyfer walked off with the titles. Coetzer beat KwaZulu-Natal’s Renashan Naidoo 21-17 13-31 21-18 while Van der Vyfer beat Boland’s Anri Schonees 21-23 21-16 21-10.
Making Vd Vyver’s victory all the more impressive is that she is still an Under-15 player, having won that category’s title in Cape Town in March this year.
The inter-provincial team events start on Wednesday.
Other results from the championships:
Girls Doubles: Anri Schoonees (Boland) & Jamie Bailey (WP) bt Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) & Janke vd Fyver (FS) 21-13 21-19
Boys Doubles: Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Renashan Naidoo (KZN) bt Tokkie Kasselman (FS) & Lindsey Griebelaar (WP) 21-18 17-21 21-15
Mixed Doubles: Reneshan Naidoo (KZN) & Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) bt Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Anri Schoonees (Boland) 21-16 21-15