- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Cameron, Janke win Under-17 titles
- Updated: October 5, 2011
Cameron Coetzer and Janke van der Vyfer are the new South African Under-17 badminton champions.
The finals of the national championships were played in Bloemfontein on Tuesday and Boland’s Coetzer and Free State’s Van der Vyfer walked off with the titles. Coetzer beat KwaZulu-Natal’s Renashan Naidoo 21-17 13-31 21-18 while Van der Vyfer beat Boland’s Anri Schonees 21-23 21-16 21-10.
Making Vd Vyver’s victory all the more impressive is that she is still an Under-15 player, having won that category’s title in Cape Town in March this year.
The inter-provincial team events start on Wednesday.
Other results from the championships:
Girls Doubles: Anri Schoonees (Boland) & Jamie Bailey (WP) bt Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) & Janke vd Fyver (FS) 21-13 21-19
Boys Doubles: Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Renashan Naidoo (KZN) bt Tokkie Kasselman (FS) & Lindsey Griebelaar (WP) 21-18 17-21 21-15
Mixed Doubles: Reneshan Naidoo (KZN) & Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) bt Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Anri Schoonees (Boland) 21-16 21-15