- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Cameron, Janke win Under-17 titles
- Updated: October 5, 2011
Cameron Coetzer and Janke van der Vyfer are the new South African Under-17 badminton champions.
The finals of the national championships were played in Bloemfontein on Tuesday and Boland’s Coetzer and Free State’s Van der Vyfer walked off with the titles. Coetzer beat KwaZulu-Natal’s Renashan Naidoo 21-17 13-31 21-18 while Van der Vyfer beat Boland’s Anri Schonees 21-23 21-16 21-10.
Making Vd Vyver’s victory all the more impressive is that she is still an Under-15 player, having won that category’s title in Cape Town in March this year.
The inter-provincial team events start on Wednesday.
Other results from the championships:
Girls Doubles: Anri Schoonees (Boland) & Jamie Bailey (WP) bt Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) & Janke vd Fyver (FS) 21-13 21-19
Boys Doubles: Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Renashan Naidoo (KZN) bt Tokkie Kasselman (FS) & Lindsey Griebelaar (WP) 21-18 17-21 21-15
Mixed Doubles: Reneshan Naidoo (KZN) & Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) bt Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Anri Schoonees (Boland) 21-16 21-15