- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
Cameron, Janke win Under-17 titles
- Updated: October 5, 2011
Cameron Coetzer and Janke van der Vyfer are the new South African Under-17 badminton champions.
The finals of the national championships were played in Bloemfontein on Tuesday and Boland’s Coetzer and Free State’s Van der Vyfer walked off with the titles. Coetzer beat KwaZulu-Natal’s Renashan Naidoo 21-17 13-31 21-18 while Van der Vyfer beat Boland’s Anri Schonees 21-23 21-16 21-10.
Making Vd Vyver’s victory all the more impressive is that she is still an Under-15 player, having won that category’s title in Cape Town in March this year.
The inter-provincial team events start on Wednesday.
Other results from the championships:
Girls Doubles: Anri Schoonees (Boland) & Jamie Bailey (WP) bt Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) & Janke vd Fyver (FS) 21-13 21-19
Boys Doubles: Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Renashan Naidoo (KZN) bt Tokkie Kasselman (FS) & Lindsey Griebelaar (WP) 21-18 17-21 21-15
Mixed Doubles: Reneshan Naidoo (KZN) & Lee-Ann de Wet (WP) bt Cameron Coetzer (Border) & Anri Schoonees (Boland) 21-16 21-15