- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
SA youngsters shine
- Updated: September 30, 2011
Our rising tennis stars are busy making their presence felt in faraway San Luis Potosi, Mexico where they are on Junior Davis Cup duty.
For the first time ever, both our boys and girls sides will be involved in play-offs for the top eight positions in the same year.
The girls ended up second in their group and it’s the first time in 16 years that they’ll play off for positions five-eight. And the fifth-seeded Czech Republic side that South Africa lost to in the first round, have become favorites to win the overall event.
The trio of Lynn Kiro, Madrie le Roux and Ilze Hattingh will play hosts and seventh-seeds Mexico in their first round play-off
As far as the boys’ progress goes, the team of Wayne Montgomery, Matthew Rossouw and Theo Ferreira were the first boys to qualify to play out for the top four positions at Junior Davis Cup, a fantastic achievement to come back from after a first round loss. They’ll now take on second seeded Italy in the semi-finals.