- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Simmonds into semis
- Updated: September 30, 2011
Chanel Simmonds cruised into the semi-finals of the Garuda International tennis tournament in Djakarta, Indonesia on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The tournament’s third seed, Simmonds beat Yi-Jing Zhao in her quarter-final clash, recording a score of 6-0 6-3 against her Chinese opponent.
“All I really had to do in my match today was to be consistent and hit the ball high so that she hit the ball at shoulder-height and she would make a mistake very early in almost all of the points,” Simmonds told Road to London 2012.
“In the second set she started hitting more balls in but I was still more consistent,┬á it was simple as that.”
Kempton Park based Simmonds, 19, will now come up against fifth-seeded Indonesian Ayu-Fani Damayanti in the semi-finals scheduled for Saturday.