- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
Simmonds into semis
- Updated: September 30, 2011
Chanel Simmonds cruised into the semi-finals of the Garuda International tennis tournament in Djakarta, Indonesia on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The tournament’s third seed, Simmonds beat Yi-Jing Zhao in her quarter-final clash, recording a score of 6-0 6-3 against her Chinese opponent.
“All I really had to do in my match today was to be consistent and hit the ball high so that she hit the ball at shoulder-height and she would make a mistake very early in almost all of the points,” Simmonds told Road to London 2012.
“In the second set she started hitting more balls in but I was still more consistent,┬á it was simple as that.”
Kempton Park based Simmonds, 19, will now come up against fifth-seeded Indonesian Ayu-Fani Damayanti in the semi-finals scheduled for Saturday.