- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Simmonds into semis
- Updated: September 30, 2011
Chanel Simmonds cruised into the semi-finals of the Garuda International tennis tournament in Djakarta, Indonesia on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The tournament’s third seed, Simmonds beat Yi-Jing Zhao in her quarter-final clash, recording a score of 6-0 6-3 against her Chinese opponent.
“All I really had to do in my match today was to be consistent and hit the ball high so that she hit the ball at shoulder-height and she would make a mistake very early in almost all of the points,” Simmonds told Road to London 2012.
“In the second set she started hitting more balls in but I was still more consistent,┬á it was simple as that.”
Kempton Park based Simmonds, 19, will now come up against fifth-seeded Indonesian Ayu-Fani Damayanti in the semi-finals scheduled for Saturday.