- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Cycling team for NZL
- Updated: September 29, 2011
A team of six riders have been selected to represent the South African Para-cycling team at the UCI P1 track event in Invercargill, New Zealand from 21-24 November.
Each athlete has determined goals, which will assist in building on previous performances with the majority of riders expecting to finish in the top five positions.
The team is made up of five men and just one woman (Roxy Burns) and selected team members are also aware that the possible selection into the South African team to take part in the London 2012 Paralympic Games will be based largely on their performance at the UCI Track World championships to be held in Los Angeles in February 2012.
Their New Zealand performance will therefore provide a critical benchmark against which they can gauge their competitiveness relative to the standards set at the 2011 World Championships, and the improvement in these standards that is certain to be reflected at the 2012 World Championships.
The full team:
Jaco Nel (C2, OPEX)
Janos Plekker (C4, OPEX)
Stephan Herholdt (C4)
Dane Wilson (C5)
Juan Wilken (C3)
Roxy Burns (C4, OPEX)
Team Manager: Elrick Kulsen