- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
Cycling team for NZL
- Updated: September 29, 2011
A team of six riders have been selected to represent the South African Para-cycling team at the UCI P1 track event in Invercargill, New Zealand from 21-24 November.
Each athlete has determined goals, which will assist in building on previous performances with the majority of riders expecting to finish in the top five positions.
The team is made up of five men and just one woman (Roxy Burns) and selected team members are also aware that the possible selection into the South African team to take part in the London 2012 Paralympic Games will be based largely on their performance at the UCI Track World championships to be held in Los Angeles in February 2012.
Their New Zealand performance will therefore provide a critical benchmark against which they can gauge their competitiveness relative to the standards set at the 2011 World Championships, and the improvement in these standards that is certain to be reflected at the 2012 World Championships.
The full team:
Jaco Nel (C2, OPEX)
Janos Plekker (C4, OPEX)
Stephan Herholdt (C4)
Dane Wilson (C5)
Juan Wilken (C3)
Roxy Burns (C4, OPEX)
Team Manager: Elrick Kulsen