- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
Championships for SA
- Updated: September 12, 2011
Hard on the heels of the successful Commonwealth Youth Games on the Isle of Man is the news that more Commonwealth action is headed South Africa’s way, writes Mark Etheridge.
It was confirmed on Monday that this year’s Commonwealth Senior, Junior and Youth Weightlifting Championships will be held in conjunction with the African Senior championships in Cape Town.
Dates for the competition have been set down as 9-15 October.
This is the first time ever that the Commonwealth Championships will held on the African continent and having the African championships in conjunction with the event,┬áwill undoubtedly add more prestige to it.
Already the Championships have received a vast number of entries and, says Paul Coffa, General Secretary of Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation: “with the inclusion of the African entries,┬á we may finish up having A and B sessions in quite a few categories.
“We understand that this will put more pressure on the Organising Committee in South Africa,┬áhowever knowing the excellent capabilities of the South African organising officials we have no doubt it will conducted at world championships standard.”