- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Championships for SA
- Updated: September 12, 2011
Hard on the heels of the successful Commonwealth Youth Games on the Isle of Man is the news that more Commonwealth action is headed South Africa’s way, writes Mark Etheridge.
It was confirmed on Monday that this year’s Commonwealth Senior, Junior and Youth Weightlifting Championships will be held in conjunction with the African Senior championships in Cape Town.
Dates for the competition have been set down as 9-15 October.
This is the first time ever that the Commonwealth Championships will held on the African continent and having the African championships in conjunction with the event,┬áwill undoubtedly add more prestige to it.
Already the Championships have received a vast number of entries and, says Paul Coffa, General Secretary of Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation: “with the inclusion of the African entries,┬á we may finish up having A and B sessions in quite a few categories.
“We understand that this will put more pressure on the Organising Committee in South Africa,┬áhowever knowing the excellent capabilities of the South African organising officials we have no doubt it will conducted at world championships standard.”