- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
Boxers grab bronze
- Updated: September 10, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s boxers Nyiko Ndukula and Jabulani Makhense both won bronze at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Saturday.
Ndukula (light flyweight) and Makhense (lightweight), both from Limpopo, did well to reach the semi-finals in their respective divisions after advancing from the quarter-finals on Friday. However, it proved to be the end of the road for both fighters as they lost their bouts.
Ndukula faced India’s Rahul Poonia and lost 26-8. Makhense’s fight was more closely contested, but he fell to a 17-11 defeat to Scotland’s Charlie Flynn.
This is Ndukula’s second international bronze this year after finishing third at the Zone VI games in Swaziland earlier this year while this is Makhense’s first international medal.