- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Boxers grab bronze
- Updated: September 10, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s boxers Nyiko Ndukula and Jabulani Makhense both won bronze at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Saturday.
Ndukula (light flyweight) and Makhense (lightweight), both from Limpopo, did well to reach the semi-finals in their respective divisions after advancing from the quarter-finals on Friday. However, it proved to be the end of the road for both fighters as they lost their bouts.
Ndukula faced India’s Rahul Poonia and lost 26-8. Makhense’s fight was more closely contested, but he fell to a 17-11 defeat to Scotland’s Charlie Flynn.
This is Ndukula’s second international bronze this year after finishing third at the Zone VI games in Swaziland earlier this year while this is Makhense’s first international medal.