- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Boxers grab bronze
- Updated: September 10, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s boxers Nyiko Ndukula and Jabulani Makhense both won bronze at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Saturday.
Ndukula (light flyweight) and Makhense (lightweight), both from Limpopo, did well to reach the semi-finals in their respective divisions after advancing from the quarter-finals on Friday. However, it proved to be the end of the road for both fighters as they lost their bouts.
Ndukula faced India’s Rahul Poonia and lost 26-8. Makhense’s fight was more closely contested, but he fell to a 17-11 defeat to Scotland’s Charlie Flynn.
This is Ndukula’s second international bronze this year after finishing third at the Zone VI games in Swaziland earlier this year while this is Makhense’s first international medal.