- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
Boxers grab bronze
- Updated: September 10, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s boxers Nyiko Ndukula and Jabulani Makhense both won bronze at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Saturday.
Ndukula (light flyweight) and Makhense (lightweight), both from Limpopo, did well to reach the semi-finals in their respective divisions after advancing from the quarter-finals on Friday. However, it proved to be the end of the road for both fighters as they lost their bouts.
Ndukula faced India’s Rahul Poonia and lost 26-8. Makhense’s fight was more closely contested, but he fell to a 17-11 defeat to Scotland’s Charlie Flynn.
This is Ndukula’s second international bronze this year after finishing third at the Zone VI games in Swaziland earlier this year while this is Makhense’s first international medal.