- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Boxers grab bronze
- Updated: September 10, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s boxers Nyiko Ndukula and Jabulani Makhense both won bronze at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Saturday.
Ndukula (light flyweight) and Makhense (lightweight), both from Limpopo, did well to reach the semi-finals in their respective divisions after advancing from the quarter-finals on Friday. However, it proved to be the end of the road for both fighters as they lost their bouts.
Ndukula faced India’s Rahul Poonia and lost 26-8. Makhense’s fight was more closely contested, but he fell to a 17-11 defeat to Scotland’s Charlie Flynn.
This is Ndukula’s second international bronze this year after finishing third at the Zone VI games in Swaziland earlier this year while this is Makhense’s first international medal.