- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Swimmers reel in medals
- Updated: September 9, 2011
By Gareth Duncan
in Douglas, Isle of Man
South Africa’s aquatics team claimed eight medals at the Commonwealth Youth Games on Friday.
The junior swimmers took South Africa’s medal tally to nine, which sees the team lie in fourth place on the overall Commonwealth Youth Games medal table. It was an impressive achievement from the swimmers considering South Africa qualified for 10 final events.
In the individual events, Marne Erasmus won the only gold medal in the women’s 50m butterfly. She managed a time of 26.56, edging ahead of New Zealand’s Sophia Batchelor who finished second with a 26.82 swim. Kelly Gunnell and Hendrick Alberts grabbed two silver medals in the women’s 100m breaststroke and men’s 50m butterfly respectively.
Martin Vogel won South Africa’s first bronze in the men’s 400m individual medley. Kurt Benjamin and Christopher van der Sande also claimed bronze in their respective men’s 100m breaststroke and 200m backstroke finals while Michelle Weber clocked a time of 8:36:26 to finish third in the women’s 800m freestyle.
In the team events, the men’s 4x100m freestyle team finished third in their final while the women’s 4x100m freestyle medley team finished fifth with a time of 3:50:97.