- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Netballers will learn
- Updated: September 3, 2011
By Mark Etheridge
The netball team that do duty for South Africa at the All Africa Games here may look vastly different to the line-up at the recent World Championships in Singapore.
But the majority of the team still form part of the squad of 32 top players in the country.
Reg Sharp has the coaching duties for this competition. “This squad is really a nursery of players coming through and works on a rotation basis.
“Two of the squad here played in Singapore, Nokuthula Qegu had matchtime in the tournament proper and Nosiphiwo Goda played in the warm-up game.”
The two are both centre-court players.
Looking ahead and Sharp reckons that Malawi will still be the team to beat. “Of course you never really know what strength team they will bring to the tournament.
“Of our Pool Two opponents, Uganda will be the ones to watch and the other two teams are Swaziland, Ghana and Namibia.
“I know Botswana are bringing the bulk of players who did duty at World Cup.”