- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
SA flag at AAG
- Updated: September 1, 2011
Team South Africa’s flag became the 10th flag to be raised at the 10th All Africa Games in Maputo on Thursday.
And the team will be hoping that come the end of the games in the Mozambican capital on 18 September, that they’ll be first when it comes to the medals count, writes Mark Etheridge.
South Africa’s neighbours, Namibia, were the first nation to be represented on the long row of flagpoles at the entrance to the Athletes’ Village.
At the brief flag-raising ceremony attended by the entire team, Director of the Athletes’ Village, Salomone Cossa presented Chef de Mission Barry Hendricks with a wooden plaque while he was in turn presented by an traditional South African beaded doll.
“Welcome to the village… we have created nice conditions for you in order for you to give of your best while you are with us.
Said Hendricks: “Thank-you for making us feel part of the village family and we look forward to creating an even bigger family of athletes here.”
The Games begin officially on Saturday 3 September while volleyball is scheduled to get underway on Friday and boxing on Saturday. The first sport where South Africa can be expected to win medals is Sunday’s triathlon.