- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
LJ wins bronze for SA
- Updated: September 1, 2011
LJ van Zyl opened South Africa’s medal account on day six of the IAAF World Championships in Daegu, Korea, when he won bronze in the men’s 400m hurdles on Thursday.
Van Zyl clocked a time of 48.80 seconds to finish third behind David Greene, of Great Britain, who won in 48.26, followed by Puerto Rico’s Javier Culson (48.44). Felix Sanchez, of the Dominican Republic, was fourth in 48.87 with Van Zyl’s countryman, Cornel Fredericks, fifth in 49.12.
Culson went out hard over the first 200m, but Greene always looked comfortable and, coming round the final bend in third, picked off Van Zyl before reeling in the Puerto Rican.
Van Zyl still has the five fastest times of the year, with a personal best of 47.66sec. He posted on his Facebook internet profile after the race: “Bronze at WChamps. I did my best. I worked really hard for it. Tomorrow 4x400m”.
In the men’s javelin Robert Oosthuizen failed to get past the qualifying round his 73.14m only good enough for 16th in his qualifying group.