- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Yola captains Banyana
- Updated: August 17, 2011
Midfield anchor Yola Jafta wears the captain’s armband when Banyana Banyana take on Mozambique in an international friendly fixture at the Lucas “Masterpieces” Moripe Stadium, in Atteridgeville, on Saturday.
Kick-off is 3pm and the 20-year-old University of Johannesburg Sports Management student will earn her 15th cap for Banyana Banyana when she leads the national senior women’s team out, with Free State defender-cum-midfielder Gabisile ‘China’ Hlumbane acting as her vice-captain.
The new leadership is a temporary solution as regular captain Amanda Dlamini and vice- captain Noko Matlou are currently representing South Africa at the World Student Games in China.
ÔÇ£It is a great honour for me to be asked to lead Banyana Banyana,ÔÇØ said Jafta, who is nicknamed ‘Batista’ and who plays for Sasol League (Gauteng) club, University of Johannesburg FC.
ÔÇ£It has been an amazing year for Banyana Banyana and the match against Mozambique is a key platform as far as the team’s preparations go for the all-important Olympic Qualifier against Ethiopia the following week at Orlando Stadium.
ÔÇ£With some of the regular players not available for Saturday’s match, it gives a host of newcomers the chance to stake a claim for possible selection to future Banyana Banyana squads,ÔÇØ added Jafta.
Hlumbane has proved her weight in gold for Banyana Banyana. She has played with confidence as a left-back and right-back, as well as a midfield anchor during her 21 international appearances.
Banyana Banyana is currently in camp at the North West University in Potchefstroom. This is in preparation for a hectic schedule of matches in August and September.