- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Bouwer’s world record
- Updated: August 15, 2011
Team South Africa exited Edmonton, Canada with 31 medals in their clutches as the Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships ended on Sunday, writes Mark Etheridge.
And Charl Bouwer saw to it that the team left on a high note as he blasted his way to a world record. Swimming in the 100-metre freestyle final (S13 category) the visually impaired Beijing Paralympic gold medallist won a fourth gold medal of the championships as he clocked 52.98 seconds.
The previous record belonged to Belarussian swimmer Dzmitry Salel who swam a 53.15 in Eindhoven, Netherlands last year.
The team added four more medals in the three events they competed in on the fifth and final day with Hendrick Herbst and Renette Bloem also wining gold.
Herbst’s gold came in the S11 100m freestyle when he touched in 1min 02.93sec while Bloem took gold in the women’s 100m breaststroke final (SB11) when she covered the distance in 1:40.53.
There was also a silver medal for Craig Groenewald in the S14 category as he swam the 100m freestyle in 56.78.
Almost 200 swimmers from 14 nations took part in the five-day championships as the race to qualify for next year’s Paralympic Games in London hots up.
Other South African swimmers in action on Sunday, and their results:
Men’s 100m freestyle
Charles Parkin S9 ÔÇô 1:10.53 ÔÇô 10th
Kevin Paul S10 ÔÇô 56.43 ÔÇô sixth
Achmat Hassiem S10 ÔÇô 57.51 ÔÇô ninth
Challis Wright S14 ÔÇô 58.17 ÔÇô fourth
Women’s 100m breaststroke
Beth Nothling SB5 ÔÇô 2:28.82 ÔÇô fourth
Emily Grey SB8 ÔÇô 1:43.33 ÔÇô fourth
Marike Naude S13 ÔÇô 1:41.88 ÔÇô seventh
Men’s 4x100m medley relay
Charles Parkin (backstroke), Tadhg Slattery (breaststroke), Achmat Hassiem (butterfly) and Kevin Paul (freestyle) ÔÇô ┬á5:04.08 ÔÇô sixth