- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Seven more swim medals
- Updated: August 12, 2011
Team South Africa raked in another seven medals on day two of the Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships in Edmonton, Canada on Thursday.
Following their six medals on Wednesday’s opening day of the championships, the team were successful in four of the disciplines swum on Thursday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Of the 13 medals won so far four are gold, four silver and the balance are bronze.
Visually impaired Charl Bouwer picked up his second gold of the championships. On Wednesday he won the 100-metre butterfly in the S13 category and followed that up with gold in the 50m freestyle, touching in 24.54. Bouwer also won a second medal on the day when he took silver in the 400m free (4:11.55).
The other gold medal also came in the 50m free where Hendrick Herbst swam 28.99 in the S11 category to win his first medal of the championships.
The team also picked up their first silver medals of the championships, four of them to be exact. Apart from Bouwer’s second spot, Craig Groenewald was second in the 200m free (S14) with a time of 2:04.07ÔÇô adding to the gold he won on day one.
Herbst also got a silver on Thursday, in the 400m free where he was timed at 5:18.04. The day’s other silver went to Challis Wright in the 50m S14 free (26.72).
The day’s sole bronze medal went to Groenewald in the 50m free with a time of 26.72.
Other SA swimmers in action, and their results, were:
Men’s 200m freestyle
Challis Wright S14 2:09.13 ÔÇô sixth
Men’s 400m freestyle
Achmat Hassiem S10 4:34.85 ÔÇô sixth
Kevin Paul S10 4:24.74 ÔÇô fifth
Women’s 100m butterfly
Emily Grey S9 1:31.46 ÔÇô ninth
Marike Naude S13 1:25.91 ÔÇô sixth
Men’s 50m freestyle
Achmat Hassiem S10 26:34 ÔÇô seventh
Kevin Paul S10 25.98 ÔÇô sixth