Well done to all participants but especially to Emily Gray - we are so prod of her! Best wishes to all for the rest of the events.
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Gold for Charl, Craig
- Updated: August 11, 2011
Our swimmers have already picked up six medals at the Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships currently underway in Edmonton, Canada.
A total of 14 countries are taking place in the Championships which run until Sunday and almost 200 swimmers are competing, writes Mark Etheridge.
Two of those six medals won by Team South Africa on day one of the championships were gold and went to Charl Bouwer and Craig Groenewald.
Visually impaired Bouwer won the 100-metre butterfly in the S13 category, the Beijing Paralympics gold medallist, touching in 59.59 seconds while Groenewald, a two time Paralympian himself, took top honours in the same event, in the S14 (intellectually challenged) category, his time being 63.14.
There were also four bronze medals to boost the haul. Three of those came in the women’s 400m freestyle events where Emily Grey, Renette Bloem and Marike Naude all ended third. Grey’s time was 4:54.69 in the S9 category, Bloem swum 6:49.06 in the S11 division and Marike Naude’s 5:21.81 came in the S13 class.
Our other bronze went to Stellenbosch based Bloem who won her second bronze of the championships when she took third in the S11 50m freestyle final, clocking 38.93sec.
Other South African swimmers in action, and their results, were:
Men’s 100m butterfly
Achmat Hassiem S10 1:01.24 ÔÇô sixth
Kevin Paul S10 1:03.68 ÔÇô seventh
Challis Wright S14 1:05.58 ÔÇô sixth
Women’s 50m freestyle
Sarah Shannon S3 1:21.85 ÔÇô seventh
Beth Nothling S5 51:51 ÔÇôfifth
Emily Grey S9 32:86 ÔÇô sixth