- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
Friendly for Under-23s
- Updated: August 6, 2011
Our national Under-23 soccer team will face neighbours Namibia in an international friendly match on Wednesday in the capital Windhoek as part of All Africa Games preparation
The match will be played at the Independence Stadium. Kick-off is at 7pm.
The clash is to help the side fine-tune for the upcoming All Africa Games (AAG) tournament which will be staged in Maputo, Mozambique from 3-18 September 2011 which the Shakes Mashaba-led squad has qualified for. They have already been drawn in Group A alongside Libya, Madagascar and hosts Mozambique.
The friendly against Namibia is set within the FIFA calendar date, giving the head coach an opportunity to work with his players leading to the CAF tournament in September. Namibia failed to qualify for the AAG competition but the South Africans are aware that they won’t be pushovers.
ÔÇ£We are happy that we were able to secure opponents so we can keep the boys busy and prepare thoroughly. It would have been even better to play one of the nations that have qualified, be that as it may, Namibia has never disappointed,” said Mashaba.
“They always put up a fight and we are expecting a fight. So it should be an interesting game, and with the All Africa Games just around the corner this will be a good exercise for the whole team. We are taking this tournament very seriously because like I have said previously, to conquer the world we need to start in our region.
“But for now we are going to Namibia for a win as we need to get into the habit of winning, and once you have it you don’t want to stop,ÔÇØ said Mashaba.
The Under-23 squad assembles for camp on Sunday and departs for Namibia on Monday. They return on Thursday morning.