- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
First round bye for Kevin
- Updated: August 1, 2011
Kevin Anderson may be seeded an unlucky 13th but he had the benefit of a first round bye in the Legg Mason Classic that started in Washington DC on Monday.
Our top-ranked player, Anderson will now come up against either Alejandro Falla of Colombia or Australian qualifier Chris Guccione in the second round of the $1.1m tournament, writes Mark Etheridge.
Down two places in the latest ATP rankings, Anderson will be reasonably confident of getting past Falla, ranked 96th in the world or Guccione (224).
Anderson beat Guccione on the last occasion they met, prevailing in three sets in New Haven, Connecticut four years ago.
And he and Falla are all square at one apiece, Falla having won at the Australian Open back in 2008 while Anderson won their most recent encounter in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last year, 6-1 3-6 7-5.
Meanwhile, Wendy Chadwick reports that across the border from the US, in Canada Fritz Wolmarans is seeded seventh at the Odlum Brown Vanopen in Vancouver and will play wildcard Daniel Kosakowski from the United States in the first round.
South African Raven Klaasen is playing at the $75,000 Beijing Challenger and has drawn a first round match against a qualifier.
Our two top-ranked women’s players are also in action. Chani Scheepers and Natalie Grandin are playing in California at the $721,000 Mercury Insurance Open. Grandin qualified for the main draw and will also be playing doubles.
In Brazil at the Compos do Jordao Challenger Izak van der Merwe seeded third will meet qualifier Fabiano De Paula from Brazil in the first round.