- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
- Ace SA duo in series triumph Down Under
- Montjane ends season on a double high
- Banyana gear up for Ghana after going down to Nigeria
Semenya in Stockholm
- Updated: July 29, 2011
Caster Semenya continues the build-up to the defence of her 800-metre world title when she lines up at the DN Galan meeting in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday night, writes Mark Etheridge.
Semenya will be the sole South African in action at this, the 11th venue for the IAAF Samsung Diamond League and Semenya will be tested in her two-lap event with six of the 10-strong field having run as fast or faster than her this season.
Eight of the field are quicker than 1min 59sec this season so Semenya will have her work cut-out.
Semenya has a season’s best 1:58.61 that she ran in Oslo, Norway. In her other Diamond League outings she won in Paris and was second in Eugene.
Quickest in the field is Svetlana Klyuka of Russia (1:58.02), followed by Moroccan Halima Hachlaf with 1:58.27.
Klyuka and Russian compatriot Kofanova, who ended fourth and fifth at the Russian Championships have been improving steadily in the last two months and the 800m at next month’s World Championships in Daegu, South Korea is shaping up to be one of the races of the championships.