- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Semenya in Stockholm
- Updated: July 29, 2011
Caster Semenya continues the build-up to the defence of her 800-metre world title when she lines up at the DN Galan meeting in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday night, writes Mark Etheridge.
Semenya will be the sole South African in action at this, the 11th venue for the IAAF Samsung Diamond League and Semenya will be tested in her two-lap event with six of the 10-strong field having run as fast or faster than her this season.
Eight of the field are quicker than 1min 59sec this season so Semenya will have her work cut-out.
Semenya has a season’s best 1:58.61 that she ran in Oslo, Norway. In her other Diamond League outings she won in Paris and was second in Eugene.
Quickest in the field is Svetlana Klyuka of Russia (1:58.02), followed by Moroccan Halima Hachlaf with 1:58.27.
Klyuka and Russian compatriot Kofanova, who ended fourth and fifth at the Russian Championships have been improving steadily in the last two months and the 800m at next month’s World Championships in Daegu, South Korea is shaping up to be one of the races of the championships.