- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
SA lose to US
- Updated: July 22, 2011
Our men’s water polo side suffered a third consecutive defeat at the 14th FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China on Friday.
They went down 20-3 to the United States in their final Group D preliminary match.
The first quarter saw the US move into a 5-0 lead, the next quarter saw South Africa get on tot he scoresheet in a┬á 4-1 scoreline but then the US dominated the penultimate quarter with a 5-0 score. South Africa’s most productive quarter was the final stanza when they scored their final two goals.
Goalscorers for SA were Ryan Bell, Donn Stewart and Nic Molyneux.
For the States most of their players got on to the scoresheet with Anthony Azevedo the most prolific with five goals.
The result sees South Africa bringing up the rear of Group D after scoring 12 goals and conceding 53 during the tournament after earlier losses to Italy (1-17) and Germany (8-16).
Italy topped the four-nation group, ahead of Germany and the US.