- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
SA lose to US
- Updated: July 22, 2011
Our men’s water polo side suffered a third consecutive defeat at the 14th FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China on Friday.
They went down 20-3 to the United States in their final Group D preliminary match.
The first quarter saw the US move into a 5-0 lead, the next quarter saw South Africa get on tot he scoresheet in a┬á 4-1 scoreline but then the US dominated the penultimate quarter with a 5-0 score. South Africa’s most productive quarter was the final stanza when they scored their final two goals.
Goalscorers for SA were Ryan Bell, Donn Stewart and Nic Molyneux.
For the States most of their players got on to the scoresheet with Anthony Azevedo the most prolific with five goals.
The result sees South Africa bringing up the rear of Group D after scoring 12 goals and conceding 53 during the tournament after earlier losses to Italy (1-17) and Germany (8-16).
Italy topped the four-nation group, ahead of Germany and the US.