- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
SA lose to US
- Updated: July 22, 2011
Our men’s water polo side suffered a third consecutive defeat at the 14th FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China on Friday.
They went down 20-3 to the United States in their final Group D preliminary match.
The first quarter saw the US move into a 5-0 lead, the next quarter saw South Africa get on tot he scoresheet in a┬á 4-1 scoreline but then the US dominated the penultimate quarter with a 5-0 score. South Africa’s most productive quarter was the final stanza when they scored their final two goals.
Goalscorers for SA were Ryan Bell, Donn Stewart and Nic Molyneux.
For the States most of their players got on to the scoresheet with Anthony Azevedo the most prolific with five goals.
The result sees South Africa bringing up the rear of Group D after scoring 12 goals and conceding 53 during the tournament after earlier losses to Italy (1-17) and Germany (8-16).
Italy topped the four-nation group, ahead of Germany and the US.