- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
SA lose to US
- Updated: July 22, 2011
Our men’s water polo side suffered a third consecutive defeat at the 14th FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China on Friday.
They went down 20-3 to the United States in their final Group D preliminary match.
The first quarter saw the US move into a 5-0 lead, the next quarter saw South Africa get on tot he scoresheet in a┬á 4-1 scoreline but then the US dominated the penultimate quarter with a 5-0 score. South Africa’s most productive quarter was the final stanza when they scored their final two goals.
Goalscorers for SA were Ryan Bell, Donn Stewart and Nic Molyneux.
For the States most of their players got on to the scoresheet with Anthony Azevedo the most prolific with five goals.
The result sees South Africa bringing up the rear of Group D after scoring 12 goals and conceding 53 during the tournament after earlier losses to Italy (1-17) and Germany (8-16).
Italy topped the four-nation group, ahead of Germany and the US.