- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
SA a hit in Lausanne
- Updated: July 22, 2011
The 14th edition of the World Gymnaestrada has come and left Lausanne, Switzerland and Team South Africa were a big hit.
Many months of preparation and training culminated into a week-long of gymnastics festivities, with the South Africans having the time of their lives.
Gymnasts, young and old, from all provinces in South Africa had the opportunity to showcase to the world their talents, artistry, multi-cultural diversity and gymnastic ability, through colourful performances and vibrant musical displays.
The South African Evening, held on 12 July, was a showstopper, bringing the crowd to “happy” tears and a grand standing ovation. According to Federation Internationale Gymnasique (FIG), ÔÇ£it was artistic all around and went far beyond the hopes and expectations of the FIG President! Devoid of apparatus, the body moves and speaks through motion and expression. A blinding success!ÔÇØ
The FIG also said that ÔÇ£South Africa proved itself contemporary, playful, inventive and a vehicle for bringing a breath of fresh air to the FIG and its gymnasts. This is the gymnastics of tomorrow. A discipline typically equated with the northern hemisphere, South African gymnastics nonetheless holds a key to the development of the sport and its federation”.
Meanwhile the SAGF is proud of Team South Africa and their spectacular performances. The positive responses received and the impression which was left in Lausanne bodes well for South Africa, who look forward to hosting the 2nd World Gym For Life Challenge in Cape Town in July 2013.