- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
SA downed by China
- Updated: July 18, 2011
Our women’s water polo team went down in their opening match of the 14th Fina World Championships in Shanghai, China on Sunday.
Despite taking the lead early on in the final preliminary match of the day, the Chinese powered back immediately and went on to win 22-5.
At the start of the four and final quarter South Africa trailed 3-16. The difference in strike power could be seen by the fact that the Chinese had a shot efficiency of 52% to just 18% by the South Africans.
The final quarter saw the home side adding a further six goals to their tally while the South Africans scored two more.
South Africa’s goals came from Jemma Dendy Young and Kelsey White, who scored two each, and Sarah Harris.
South Africa now go on to meet Italy in their next pool game, this after the Italians had beaten Cuba 12-4. Our men’s side also play Italy in their first match on Monday.
China will now take on Cuba. China lead the pool with a goal difference of +17 with South African bringing up the rear with a -17 difference.