- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Anderson in Atlanta
- Updated: July 18, 2011
Top ranked Kevin Anderson is in action at the Atlanta Tennis Championships in the US this week.
Anderson, who helped South Africa to a Davis Cup win over the Netherlands in Potchefstroom recently, is seeded second for the tournament.
The world’s 35th-ranked player, he moved up one position on the ATP Tour world rankings that were announced on Monday.
He has a first round bye in Atlanta and then comes up against American Michael Russell ÔÇô in the second round on Wednesday. American Mardy Fish, currently ranked ninth in the world, is the top seed for the $531,000 tournament.
Meanwhile four of Anderson’s fellow South African players also moved up the rankings. Izak van der Merwe went up nine spots to 114, Rik de Voest┬á moved up two to 128, and Fritz Wolmarans swopped 218th spot for 214th spot. Rounding off the top five men’s players was Raven Klaasen who went up nine spots fo 327th.
In the women’s rankings, our top ranked player, Chani Scheepers, inactive since losing in the first round at WImbledon, nevertheless went up one place to 92nd in the WTA rankings. Our next best player, Chanel Simmonds dropped six spots to 241st spot.