- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Shakes ready to roll
- Updated: July 9, 2011
It’s all systems go for our African National Under-23 soccer team ÔÇô they’ve completed their preparations ahead of their second leg All Africa Games qualifier against Zimbabwe in Harare on Sunday.
Head coach Shakes Mashaba’s side is taking a 2-nil lead from the first leg played two weeks ago in Johannesburg, and will be hoping to continue from where they left off.
ÔÇ£The technical team is satisfied with the preparations up to this point, we have done everything we could. All that is left is for us to get onto the pitch and do the business. We have come here with a lot of purpose and positivity even though we are well aware it will not be an easy match.
“Playing away from home is never a walk in the park, but because of our lead from the first leg we have one foot in the AAG tournament so we just need to be cautious but play to win. The mental strength and character of the players will be tested, but we have prepared them well for that,ÔÇØ said Mashaba.
The head coach has also been impressed by the high team spirit that is prevailing, and believes that alone is reason enough to be confident.
ÔÇ£The team is looking very good, the players are buzzing with excitement. A happy player always does his best on the field, but must at the same time guard against being over-confident. I am encouraged that the boys seem eager to get this match underway. They really understand the importance of this encounter, so we will do everything in our power to return home victorious,ÔÇØ added Shakes.