- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Chani exits Edgbaston
- Updated: June 7, 2011
Chani Scheepers went out in the first round of the Aegon Classic womens’ tournament in Birmingham, England on Monday.
Our top-ranked women’s player, Scheepers was beaten in straight sets, 6-3 7-5 by Britain’s Heather Watson, writes Mark Etheridge.
In a match lasting an hour and 26 minutes, Scheepers was outgunned in the aces department (3-0) and also had the misfortune of being double-faulted on six occasions compared to her opponent’s one.
She had the higher first service percentage at 73% compared to 69% it was her second service that let her down as she could only win five of 17 second service points.
Scheepers, seeded 15th for the $220,000 grass-court tournament, saw her WTA ranking fall from 65th to 89th in the last week. At last week’s French Open she was beaten in the second round after having reached the fourth round in 2010.
Watson, on the other hand, improved her ranking, breaking into the top 100 (93) after being 117th in last week’s rankings.