- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Three dates for U-23ÔÇ▓s
- Updated: May 25, 2011
The South African National Under-23 football team have wrapped up preparations ahead of their three upcoming matches ÔÇô two friendly internationals and an Olympic Games qualifier.
The 21-strong South African squad depart for Mauritius on Wednesday where they will play that country in two friendly matches on Thursday, 26 May and again on Saturday.
The games are to fine-tune the Shakes Mashaba-led side before facing Benin in a 2012 London Olympics qualifying match. The qualifier is scheduled to take place in Benin on Saturday 4 June at the Ren├® Pleven Stadium. Kick-off is at 3pm South African time.
Mashaba says the trip to Mauritius is crucial in that it will give him an idea of how ready his side will be for Benin.
ÔÇ£Competition is about participation, the more matches we play the better prepared we will be. Unfortunately we have not had enough time to train in this camp as we only assembled this Monday. We are hoping the two matches in Mauritius will be of great help before the all-important clash against Benin.
“We are banking on the fact that most players have been playing regularly in their various teams and are reasonably fit, so we will only concentrate on the tactical side of things. We also have players that we would have loved to travel with to Mauritius for these friendly matches but unfortunately some clubs are still need them,ÔÇØ says Mashaba.
The team will travel directly from Mauritius to Benin for the Olympic qualifier
Selected squad for Mauritius:
Goalkeepers Boalefa Pule, Brilliant Khuzwayo, Daren Keet. Defenders: Siyabonga Zulu, Siyanda Xulu, Sibusiso Mxoyana, Ramahlwe Mphahlele, Thabang Matuka, Doctor Mampuru, Thulani Hlatshwayo, Glawin Shitolo. Midfielders: Thandani Ntshumayelo, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Mandla Masango, Themba Zwane, Christopher Flandorp, Sameehg Doutie, Thami Sangweni. Strikers: Riaan Eugene, Lucky Nguzana, Augustine Leonards