- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
SA lose to Vietnam
- Updated: May 25, 2011
South Africa went down 5-0 to Vietnam in their second match of the World Team Championships in Quinlao, China on Wednesday.
The South Africans had won their first match of the tournament, 4-1 to Bulgaria on Monday.
Still, the South Africans weren’t disgraced against their Eastern opponents in the competition also known as the Sudirman Cup.
The intensity and tempo of the Vietnamese play was just too good for our players to match, although South Africa managed to hold their own. Two of the matches went to three sets, and South Africa nearly took a set of the highly-rated women’s doubles pair from Vietnam.
The results in the Level Three (Group 3B) encounter were as follows (in order of play, South African names first):
Mixed doubles: Wiaan & Annari Viljoen lost to Bang Duc Bui &Hong Gam Thi Li
21-17 24-26 21-17
Men’s singles: Jacob Maliekal lost to Tien Minh Nguyen 5-21 8-21
Women’s singles: Stacey Doubell lost to Thi Trang Vu 10-21 16 21
Men’s doubles: Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen lost to Bang Duc Bui & Manh Tang Dao 16-21; 21-12; 21-23
Women’s doubles: Michelle Edwards & Anna Viljoen lost to Tri Trang Vu & Thi Sen Nguyen 11-21 19-21