- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
SA lose to Vietnam
- Updated: May 25, 2011
South Africa went down 5-0 to Vietnam in their second match of the World Team Championships in Quinlao, China on Wednesday.
The South Africans had won their first match of the tournament, 4-1 to Bulgaria on Monday.
Still, the South Africans weren’t disgraced against their Eastern opponents in the competition also known as the Sudirman Cup.
The intensity and tempo of the Vietnamese play was just too good for our players to match, although South Africa managed to hold their own. Two of the matches went to three sets, and South Africa nearly took a set of the highly-rated women’s doubles pair from Vietnam.
The results in the Level Three (Group 3B) encounter were as follows (in order of play, South African names first):
Mixed doubles: Wiaan & Annari Viljoen lost to Bang Duc Bui &Hong Gam Thi Li
21-17 24-26 21-17
Men’s singles: Jacob Maliekal lost to Tien Minh Nguyen 5-21 8-21
Women’s singles: Stacey Doubell lost to Thi Trang Vu 10-21 16 21
Men’s doubles: Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen lost to Bang Duc Bui & Manh Tang Dao 16-21; 21-12; 21-23
Women’s doubles: Michelle Edwards & Anna Viljoen lost to Tri Trang Vu & Thi Sen Nguyen 11-21 19-21