- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Caveman is king
- Updated: May 16, 2011
Our multi-talented Conrad Stoltz, 37, won the inaugural XTERRA Pacific Championship at Wilder Ranch State Park in Santa Cruz, California on Sunday.
The victory for the ÔÇ£Caveman,” however, didn’t come easy, as fellow countryman Dan Hugo pushed him to the extent of all his resources.
ÔÇ£I’m really happy to win here today because it’s been a tough week, a tough couple weeks actually as I’ve been sick since I got back from Spain,ÔÇØ said Stoltz.
Stoltz ┬áwon the inaugural ITU Cross Tri World Championship in Spain on April 30, but had since┬áthen only swam once and ran once.
Feeling less than perfect was a common theme for the dozen elites who competed in Spain, with nearly the whole lot suffering from some bug or another.
Unusually it was not Stoltz who dominanted the mountain bike, but rather Dan Hugo who put nearly the entire field out of contention by the midway point.┬á The race narrowed to three main players ÔÇô Hugo, Stoltz, and Seth .
As has long been the case, Stoltz is deadly on downhills and after a few thousand feet of climbing the course pointed down and the four-time XTERRA World Champ made his move.
Hugo did his best to stay with Stoltz but ultimately came into the bike-to-run transition a little less than a minute back.
The two posted nearly identical run splits as the Caveman dug deep to tap his instinct for victory.┬á He was clearly exhausted and relieved after crossing the line in 2hr 12min 51sec, 47 seconds ahead of Hugo.
Pl ┬áName ┬áAge ┬áHometown ┬áTime ┬áPts ┬áPurse
1 ┬áConrad Stoltz ┬á37 ┬áStellenbosch, South Africa ┬á2:12:51 ┬á100 ┬á$1,800ÔÇ¿, 2 ┬áDan Hugo ┬á25 ┬áStellenbosch, South Africa ┬á2:13:38 ┬á90 ┬á$1,250ÔÇ¿, 3 ┬áSeth Wealing ┬á32 ┬áBoulder, Colorado ┬á2:14:49 ┬á82 ┬á$800ÔÇ¿, 4 ┬áJosiah Middaugh ┬á32 ┬áVail, Colorado ┬á2:18:11 ┬á75 ┬á$500ÔÇ¿, 5 ┬áBranden Rakita ┬á30 ┬áManitou Springs, Colorado ┬á2:20:59 ┬á69 ┬á$400