- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
SA trio lose in Rome
- Updated: May 11, 2011
The only good news concerning our South African players at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament being played in Rome was that Wesley Moodie and his partner Dick Norman are still part of the red clay tournament.
And that’s partly due to the fact that they received a bye in the first round and will now face the winners of the match between Tomas Berdych/Lucas Dlouhy and Mardy Fish/Andy Roddick.
The worrying aspect of the men’s singles was that Kevin Anderson retired injured from his first round match against American Sam Querrey in the $2,75m tournament and would now seem doubtful for the doubles (with Nicholas Almagro) should they┬ámove into the main draw from alternate status.
Anderson was down 6-7 0-1 after 1hr 21min of action before he indicated he couldn’t continue, the reason being an ankle injury.
Our women were both knocked out in their first round matches with Chani Scheepers going down to 16th ranked Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-3 7-5 in 1hr 26min of action and Natalie Grandin and her partner Vladmira Uhlirova losing to Chinese duo Shuai Peng and Jie Zheng 6-2 6-4.
Grandin was in action in Cairo, Egypt last week where she did Fed Cup duty in a Group III tournament.