- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
More honours for Jay
- Updated: May 10, 2011
South African road cycling professional, Jay Thomson, won the Points Competition for being the most consistent top-placed finisher at the Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville, Arkansas at the weekend.
After winning Stage Three on Saturday, Thomson was involved in a mid-race breakaway on Sunday’s fourth and final stage, grabbing one of the sprint primes in the process, which added five points to his accumulated tally, enough to secure him the victory in that competition.
It was a day of celebration allround for Thomson and his Bissell team as they successfully managed to topple Spaniard, Francesco Mancebo (RealCyclist.com) from the race lead with a series of attacks, eventually securing the overall win for Bissell’s Frank Pipp.
Team Bissell also won the team classification.
Thomson will now focus on his preparation for the Tour of California, North America’s most prestigious road cycling event, which starts on Sunday.