- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
More honours for Jay
- Updated: May 10, 2011
South African road cycling professional, Jay Thomson, won the Points Competition for being the most consistent top-placed finisher at the Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville, Arkansas at the weekend.
After winning Stage Three on Saturday, Thomson was involved in a mid-race breakaway on Sunday’s fourth and final stage, grabbing one of the sprint primes in the process, which added five points to his accumulated tally, enough to secure him the victory in that competition.
It was a day of celebration allround for Thomson and his Bissell team as they successfully managed to topple Spaniard, Francesco Mancebo (RealCyclist.com) from the race lead with a series of attacks, eventually securing the overall win for Bissell’s Frank Pipp.
Team Bissell also won the team classification.
Thomson will now focus on his preparation for the Tour of California, North America’s most prestigious road cycling event, which starts on Sunday.