- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
More honours for Jay
- Updated: May 10, 2011
South African road cycling professional, Jay Thomson, won the Points Competition for being the most consistent top-placed finisher at the Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville, Arkansas at the weekend.
After winning Stage Three on Saturday, Thomson was involved in a mid-race breakaway on Sunday’s fourth and final stage, grabbing one of the sprint primes in the process, which added five points to his accumulated tally, enough to secure him the victory in that competition.
It was a day of celebration allround for Thomson and his Bissell team as they successfully managed to topple Spaniard, Francesco Mancebo (RealCyclist.com) from the race lead with a series of attacks, eventually securing the overall win for Bissell’s Frank Pipp.
Team Bissell also won the team classification.
Thomson will now focus on his preparation for the Tour of California, North America’s most prestigious road cycling event, which starts on Sunday.