- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
More honours for Jay
- Updated: May 10, 2011
South African road cycling professional, Jay Thomson, won the Points Competition for being the most consistent top-placed finisher at the Joe Martin Stage Race in Fayetteville, Arkansas at the weekend.
After winning Stage Three on Saturday, Thomson was involved in a mid-race breakaway on Sunday’s fourth and final stage, grabbing one of the sprint primes in the process, which added five points to his accumulated tally, enough to secure him the victory in that competition.
It was a day of celebration allround for Thomson and his Bissell team as they successfully managed to topple Spaniard, Francesco Mancebo (RealCyclist.com) from the race lead with a series of attacks, eventually securing the overall win for Bissell’s Frank Pipp.
Team Bissell also won the team classification.
Thomson will now focus on his preparation for the Tour of California, North America’s most prestigious road cycling event, which starts on Sunday.