- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Hungarians lend a hand
- Updated: May 10, 2011
South Africa’s top wrestlers are getting to grips at a training camp in Pretoria ahead of the Senior Africa Championships later this year.
The High Performance Centre is the venue for the camp and a huge bonus for our wrestlers is the fact that the Hungarian freestyle team are also in town for the camp, writes Mark Etheridge.
Said an excited national coach, Nico Coetzee on Tuesday: “It’s the first time in many a year that such a strong European wrestling side is visiting South Africa. We have been training with the same Hungarian team in Tata, Hungary at their Olympic Training Centre before the last two World Championships.”
The Hungarians arrived in South Africa on 7 May and leave on 22 May. The group is nine-strong and includes five senior and four junior wrestlers. Among them is Hatos Gabor, who came third in the senior world championships (74kg division) and third in the European Championships.
Also here is Daniel Legiti, fifth at least year’s World Championships and also third at the European Championships (120kg).
The team will take part in the Eastern Gauteng Open tournament in Benoni on 21 May before leaving for the Senior African Championships in Senegal two days later.
“Having the wrestlers here is not only a huge advantage to our wrestlers but also to our local coaches who also benefit hugely,” says Coetzee. “Our next tournament after Senegal will be in July when we got to Spain for 12 days for a training camp as well as taking part in the Spanish Grand Prix.”