- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
UWC and TUT Pretoria are tops
- Updated: May 4, 2011
The University of Western Cape and TUT Pretoria were crowned champions of Volleyball South Africa’s elite national inter club championship for men and women staged at Wits University’s Hall 29 from April 26-29.
Defending men’s champions, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were out-gunned by ‘new kids on the block’, the University of Western Cape (UWC) in straight sets (3-0).
UWC’s youngster, Clinton Stemmet was in devastating form as he plotted the downfall of┬á the Johannesburg side with relative ease. For his efforts Stemmet picked up the coveted ‘Attacker of the Tournament’ accolade.
In the hard fought women’s final TUT Pretoria emerged victorious against the University of Western Cape (UWC) by three sets to 1.
TUT’s┬á SA national team attacker, Lesego┬á Baakeleng┬á who received the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award and setter of the tournament, Nthabinseng Morifi sparkled for the students as they reached the podium as gold medallists for the first time at this level of competition.