- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
UWC and TUT Pretoria are tops
- Updated: May 4, 2011
The University of Western Cape and TUT Pretoria were crowned champions of Volleyball South Africa’s elite national inter club championship for men and women staged at Wits University’s Hall 29 from April 26-29.
Defending men’s champions, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were out-gunned by ‘new kids on the block’, the University of Western Cape (UWC) in straight sets (3-0).
UWC’s youngster, Clinton Stemmet was in devastating form as he plotted the downfall of┬á the Johannesburg side with relative ease. For his efforts Stemmet picked up the coveted ‘Attacker of the Tournament’ accolade.
In the hard fought women’s final TUT Pretoria emerged victorious against the University of Western Cape (UWC) by three sets to 1.
TUT’s┬á SA national team attacker, Lesego┬á Baakeleng┬á who received the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award and setter of the tournament, Nthabinseng Morifi sparkled for the students as they reached the podium as gold medallists for the first time at this level of competition.