- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
UWC and TUT Pretoria are tops
- Updated: May 4, 2011
The University of Western Cape and TUT Pretoria were crowned champions of Volleyball South Africa’s elite national inter club championship for men and women staged at Wits University’s Hall 29 from April 26-29.
Defending men’s champions, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were out-gunned by ‘new kids on the block’, the University of Western Cape (UWC) in straight sets (3-0).
UWC’s youngster, Clinton Stemmet was in devastating form as he plotted the downfall of┬á the Johannesburg side with relative ease. For his efforts Stemmet picked up the coveted ‘Attacker of the Tournament’ accolade.
In the hard fought women’s final TUT Pretoria emerged victorious against the University of Western Cape (UWC) by three sets to 1.
TUT’s┬á SA national team attacker, Lesego┬á Baakeleng┬á who received the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award and setter of the tournament, Nthabinseng Morifi sparkled for the students as they reached the podium as gold medallists for the first time at this level of competition.