- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
UWC and TUT Pretoria are tops
- Updated: May 4, 2011
The University of Western Cape and TUT Pretoria were crowned champions of Volleyball South Africa’s elite national inter club championship for men and women staged at Wits University’s Hall 29 from April 26-29.
Defending men’s champions, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were out-gunned by ‘new kids on the block’, the University of Western Cape (UWC) in straight sets (3-0).
UWC’s youngster, Clinton Stemmet was in devastating form as he plotted the downfall of┬á the Johannesburg side with relative ease. For his efforts Stemmet picked up the coveted ‘Attacker of the Tournament’ accolade.
In the hard fought women’s final TUT Pretoria emerged victorious against the University of Western Cape (UWC) by three sets to 1.
TUT’s┬á SA national team attacker, Lesego┬á Baakeleng┬á who received the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award and setter of the tournament, Nthabinseng Morifi sparkled for the students as they reached the podium as gold medallists for the first time at this level of competition.