- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
UWC and TUT Pretoria are tops
- Updated: May 4, 2011
The University of Western Cape and TUT Pretoria were crowned champions of Volleyball South Africa’s elite national inter club championship for men and women staged at Wits University’s Hall 29 from April 26-29.
Defending men’s champions, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) were out-gunned by ‘new kids on the block’, the University of Western Cape (UWC) in straight sets (3-0).
UWC’s youngster, Clinton Stemmet was in devastating form as he plotted the downfall of┬á the Johannesburg side with relative ease. For his efforts Stemmet picked up the coveted ‘Attacker of the Tournament’ accolade.
In the hard fought women’s final TUT Pretoria emerged victorious against the University of Western Cape (UWC) by three sets to 1.
TUT’s┬á SA national team attacker, Lesego┬á Baakeleng┬á who received the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award and setter of the tournament, Nthabinseng Morifi sparkled for the students as they reached the podium as gold medallists for the first time at this level of competition.