- Dusi seedings up for grabs at Umpetha Challenge
- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
New names for Namibia
- Updated: May 3, 2011
With the Southern Region Youth Championships in Namibia less than a month away athletes are busy preparing for this event and there’s good news for some athletes as team selection has been reconsidered and four extra athletes have been included in the team.
Joining the 40 chosen athletes are Duncan Matthews from Gauteng North in the long jump, Cornelius Lombard from Eastern Province (shot put), Thumisang Monnathlala from Central Gauteng who will run in the 1500m and Somari Els, also from Gauteng North who will join the discus team as the only female addition.
Matthews jumped 7.16m at the ABSA Tuks stadium in February while Lombard heaved the shot 7.16m in Paarl during the SASA Championships earlier this year.
As a 1500m athlete, Monnathlala proved why he should be in the team with his 3.55.07 performance in Paarl on March 24 while Els also proved herself with her distance of 42.47 during the same event in Paarl.
These athletes will definitely bring more diversity to the team and at the same time get the opportunity to compete against international athletes.┬á The Southern Region Youth Championships will take place in Windhoek from 27-28 May.