- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Under-18 title for WP
- Updated: May 2, 2011
Western Province captured the Under-18 junior tennis inter-provincial tournament which ended at the weekend in Bloemfontein.
The 14 South African tennis provinces competed for honours. Each team was made up of four boys and four girls with each match consisting of singles, doubles and mixed doubles matches making up the tie in the round robin format event.
The Western Province team comprising of MC Visser, Keaton Saunders, Dion Roos, Chevaan Davids, Mikayla Morkel-Brink, Chloe Heerden, Krysa Gaweda and Lilianne Ongendangend comfortably outperformed the other 13 provinces, finishing the tournament in first position for the second consecutive year, on 68 points with Gauteng Central coming in second 13 points below on 45.
Fred Kiewitz, coach of Western Province said that the depth of his team made the difference in defending their Inter-Provincial title. ÔÇ£We came to the event a few days early to acclimatize and were confident going in,ÔÇØ said Kiewitz.
ÔÇ£We are all ecstatic about our win and it’s good to know that our hard training and preparations have paid off.ÔÇØ
The final standings for the event were: 1 Western Province 68, 2 Gauteng Central 45, 3 Gauteng North 40, Boland 37