- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Team SA’s changes
- Updated: April 29, 2011
Six changes have been made to Team South Africa to do duty at the CAA Africa Junior Track and Field Championships in Gaborone, Botswana next month.
The six additional athletes (four girls, two boys) bring the total team tally to 61. These additions come in the form of Mariska Smit from Boland in the pole vault, Liezl de Swardt (Central North West) and Leandri Swiegers (Gauteng North), both javelin throwers, while Liette van Schalkwyk from Athletics Free State will participate in shot put.
Smit reached a height of 3.30 metres in Paarl on 26 March and would definitely want to better that at the Junior Champs. De Swardt achieved 47.12m at the first interprovincial in Germiston while Swiegers threw 46.25m in Paarl. Van Schalkwyk showed that she also deserves a place when she pushed the shot 13.01m during the SASA Championships.
The two extra addition amongst the men comes in the shape of 3000m steeplechase athlete from Free State, Teboho Mock.┬á During the SASA Champs in Paarl he ran this event in 8min 58.16sec to secure him a spot in this team. Sprinter Emile Erasmus (100m) also joins the squad.
South Africa will definitely want to continue their quest for gold medals after their domination two years ago in Mauritius where 11 of the 22 medals were gold.┬áSouth Africa will have to look out for Kenya, who will be relying on the junior athletes who dominated at the Africa cross country championship in Cape Town earlier this year, to produce the same performance in Botswana.
The 10th CAA Africa Junior Champs will take place from 12-15 May 2011.