- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
- Fumic, Avancini on the double at Cape Epic
- Poor health can’t stop Dalle Ave breaking new ground
- Zazini blitzes to 400m hurdles world youth best
Pre IOC Session visit for Durban
- Updated: April 26, 2011
The 123rd International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session will be held in Durban from 4-9 July, 2011 and already an advance guard of IOC delegates have arrived in South Africa to prepare for the session.
An IOC delegation arrived in Durban on Thursday, 28 April and departs again on Thursday, 5 May.
During their visit the delegation will attend technical and operational meetings ahead of this important Session. Subjects up for discussion will include media accreditation as well as medical, security and food and beverage arrangements. The venue for the 123rd Session will be the International Convention Centre in Durban.
During the Session, the IOC’s annual general meeting will take place and will be a meeting at which decisions on key policy issues will be made. One of the most important of these will be the election of the host city of the 2018 Winter Olympics.
That much expected Winter Olympics announcement will be made on Wednesday, 6 July. The three Candidate Cities bidding for the Games are Munich (Germany), Annecy (France) and PyeongChang (South Korea) so listed in the order of drawing of lots.
Representatives of these three cities will also be in Durban during the 2-5 May visit and all the cities will have meetings with the visiting IOC delegation.
The 123rd Session will be attended by IOC President Jacques Rogge of Belgium and all members of the IOC while at least 16 members of royalty will be in attendance at various times during the Session. Many former international sportsmen and women will also be present at the Session.