- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Kevin, Chani on clay
- Updated: April 20, 2011
Our top-ranked men’s and women’s tennis players are both in clay-court action on Wednesday.
Kevin Anderson, now ranked 35th on the ATP World Tour rankings, takes on Romanian Victor Hanescu in Barcelona Open second round action after beating Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas in the first round earlier this week, writes Mark Etheridge.
Meanwhile, closer to home and on African soil, top-ranked Chani Scheepers gets her GP de SAR la Princesse Lalla Meryem campaign underway in F├¿s, Morocco.
Scheepers started her week in 76th spot on the Sony Eriksson Tour rankings, one spot up on the previous week.
This is the only time the WTA comes to Africa this season and the tournament carries a prize purse of $220,000.
She’ll take on Slovenia’s Polona Hercog a player ranked just eight spots higher than her. The two are no strangers either, having met twice to date, the most recent in Miami earlier this year.
The good news for South African fans is that Scheepers holds a 2-0 lead in the head-to-head match-up having beaten Hercog in San Luis Potosi back in 2007 when both players were ranked outside the top 200 (in fact Hercog was only No394).
In Miami this year both were in the top 100 and Scheepers won in three sets 5-7 7-5 6-2.