- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
Italian opener for Kevin
- Updated: April 11, 2011
Top-ranked Kevin Anderson comes up against Fabio Fognini of Italy in the first round of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters tennis tournament this week.
Anderson starts the tournament on the back of a good run where he reached the finals of the Sony Eriksson Open in Miami, Florida earlier this month.
Anderson, like a lot of the circuit’s top men, wasn’t in action last week as they moved to Europe for the start of the European clay-court season and retained his career-high 33rd ATP Tour ranking.
His opponent, Fognini, is ranked 20 places lower at position No55 going into this week’s tournament
They’ve only come up against each other on one occasion to date and Anderson emerged victorious. That was on grass at the 2009 Queen’s Club tournament in London two years ago where big-serving Anderson won in straight set 6-3 7-6 (3).
Fognini, though will start in confident frame of mind after having reached the quarter-finals of the Grand Prix Hassan II tournament in Casablanca, Morocco at the weekend. Seeded seventh for the tournament, he went down to Spain’s Albert Montantes 6-7 1-6.
Meanwhile our top-ranked women’s player, Chani Scheepers, has moved up three places in the latest Sony Eriksson rankings. She’s now ranked 77th in the world.