- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Ferns calls it a day
- Updated: April 8, 2011
On the eve of the national swimming championships in Port Elizabeth, Olympic gold medallist swimmer Lyndon Ferns has announced his retirement.
Ferns was a member South African team that won gold in the 4x100m freestyle men’s relay at the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004.
The 28-year-old Ferns, says the time has come for him to start concentrating on his career. Ferns said he wanted more stability in his life as he will be getting married in September to his fianc├®, Cara Burger, reports Sapa.
ÔÇ£It is nice to get an income every month and not wondering if there will be some sponsor or SASCOC looking after me.ÔÇØ Ferns said he will not turn his back on the sport that gave him the opportunities to travel the world and the wonderful experiences he had as top swimmer.
ÔÇ£I will always support swimming and I will still be involved. The sport has brought me to where I am today and I will promote the sport and even do some swimming clinics for youngsters to get them involved in the sport.ÔÇØ
Ferns believes that he achieved enough in the sport and he will perhaps miss some of the competitions.
ÔÇ£The gold medal at the Olympics was obviously the highlight of my swimming career. But I have won a gold medal at international meets on every continent in the world. That is special to me,ÔÇØ said Ferns.
ÔÇ£I feel it is time to stop swimming now. I am enjoying my work (as an accountant) and in swimming perhaps I would have made it to the final at the Olympics, but not much more. Swimming helped me with discipline and I would have been stupid not to accept the work offer.ÔÇØ