- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Potch hosts Cup tie
- Updated: April 5, 2011
Potchefstroom in the North West Province will be the venue for the Euro/Africa Group 1 Davis Cup tennis tie between South Africa and The Netherlands from Friday 8 July to Sunday 10 July.
The North West University campus hosted Soccer World Cup champions Spain during last year’s tournament and boasts first-class sporting facilities. Also recently, two International Junior tournaments were hosted there at the Riaan Venter Tennis Academy which is based on the NWU campus. It was due to the success of both tournaments that the South African Tennis Association (SATA) have decided to take this event to the same venue.
“The reason this venue has been chosen is to bring international tennis to smaller places in South Africa and at the same time adhere to the players’ wishes to play at altitude,” explained SATA chief executive Ian Smith. “Potchefstroom has been very good to tennis and the NWU has always given great support.”
Director of Sport at the NWU Puk, James Stoffberg, said they were anticipating a superb event. “We have already proved that we are up to the task in hosting international events and we know the players will be well catered for. It is also exciting for us to stage an international tennis event at the NWU.”
South Africa and The Netherlands have until Tuesday 28 June according to the Davis Cup and ITF rules to make their team nominations.