- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Chani exits Miami
- Updated: March 25, 2011
Our Chani Scheepers has fallen in the second round of the Sony Ericsson Open tournament in Miami, Florida.
Twenty-six-year-old Scheepers went out to Romania’s Alexandra Dulgheru in straight sets, losing 6-3 6-2 to the 26th seed in a match lasting 1hr 25min. There wasn’t a single ace fired down in the entire match with Scheepers making three double faults to her opponent’s one.
In the first round 81st ranked Scheepers had seen off the challenge of Slovenia’s top-ranked player Polona Hercog.
Scheepers won a tough three setter against the 61st ranked player, coming through a 2hr 39min match 5-7 7-5 6-2.
Hercog sent down four aces compared to one by Scheepers and each player was double-faulted on five occasions.
Scheeeers now stays on in the United States for one more tournament, the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, South Carolina and then some clay-court training before heading across the Europe for the clay-court season.