- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Chani exits Miami
- Updated: March 25, 2011
Our Chani Scheepers has fallen in the second round of the Sony Ericsson Open tournament in Miami, Florida.
Twenty-six-year-old Scheepers went out to Romania’s Alexandra Dulgheru in straight sets, losing 6-3 6-2 to the 26th seed in a match lasting 1hr 25min. There wasn’t a single ace fired down in the entire match with Scheepers making three double faults to her opponent’s one.
In the first round 81st ranked Scheepers had seen off the challenge of Slovenia’s top-ranked player Polona Hercog.
Scheepers won a tough three setter against the 61st ranked player, coming through a 2hr 39min match 5-7 7-5 6-2.
Hercog sent down four aces compared to one by Scheepers and each player was double-faulted on five occasions.
Scheeeers now stays on in the United States for one more tournament, the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, South Carolina and then some clay-court training before heading across the Europe for the clay-court season.