- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
Chani exits Miami
- Updated: March 25, 2011
Our Chani Scheepers has fallen in the second round of the Sony Ericsson Open tournament in Miami, Florida.
Twenty-six-year-old Scheepers went out to Romania’s Alexandra Dulgheru in straight sets, losing 6-3 6-2 to the 26th seed in a match lasting 1hr 25min. There wasn’t a single ace fired down in the entire match with Scheepers making three double faults to her opponent’s one.
In the first round 81st ranked Scheepers had seen off the challenge of Slovenia’s top-ranked player Polona Hercog.
Scheepers won a tough three setter against the 61st ranked player, coming through a 2hr 39min match 5-7 7-5 6-2.
Hercog sent down four aces compared to one by Scheepers and each player was double-faulted on five occasions.
Scheeeers now stays on in the United States for one more tournament, the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, South Carolina and then some clay-court training before heading across the Europe for the clay-court season.