- Dusi seedings up for grabs at Umpetha Challenge
- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
Dutch date for SA
- Updated: March 9, 2011
Captain John-Laffnie de Jager’s South African tennis team are just one Davis Cup win away from playing for a place in the World Group of the Competition.
All they have to do is get past the Dutch in a Euro/Africa Zone Group 1 encounter from 8-10. South Africa had a bye in the first round and were drawn to play the winners of Ukraine and The Netherlands. The Netherlands defeated Ukraine 3-2 in Kharkiv, sneaking home when Robin Haase won a five-set thriller against Illya Marchenko.
A victory against Holland will put the SA Davis team into the World Group Play-offs from 16-18 September where they will face one of the losing teams from the first round of the World Group.
South Africa have an excellent record against the Dutch but they have not played since the country’s readmission to the competition in 1992.
However, the last time The Netherlands defeated South Africa was in 1920. In six subsequent ties, South Africa were victorious, the last win going back to May 1967.
The current Dutch team is headed up by Theo de Bakker and Robin Haase, ranked 53 and 56 respectively. They are backed up by Jesse Huta Galung (113), Igor Sijsling (156) and Thomas Schoorel (167).
De Jager’s team is spearheaded by recent SA Open champion Kevin Anderson, now ranked 40 in the world, Izak van der Merwe (150) and Rik de Voest (162).
Announcement on the venue for this important tie will be made soon with the most likely options looking like Groenkloof, Pretoria or Montecasino, Johannesburg, venue for the recent SA Open tournament.