- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
CEO’s chair — Tubby Reddy
- Updated: March 9, 2011
It’s all happening at SASCOC and it just seems to get busier and busier as the year goes on! I recently visited Maputo, host city for the All-Africa Games later this year, and I must say I came back to South Africa pretty impressed.
My visit was part of an inspection tour to check on progress for this event and the Mozambicans have done really well.
They’ve built an impressive brand-new stadium for the Games and the new swimming pool will also be ready by June.
The Athletes’ Village will also be ready by June and the other existing facilities have been extensively revamped.
My one small concern was perhaps the traffic problem. But having said that, if we coped with the Delhi traffic for last year’s Commonwealth Games in India then surely we can cope with just about anything.
Meanwhile, work for our hosting of the 123rd IOC Session in Durban in July goes ahead full steam. This is shaping up to be a really great event with the eyes of the sporting world firmly focused on us.
We had an IOC review meeting in Durban in late February, and met with the IOC Chief Financial Officer Thierry Sprunger and Protocol Officer Paul Foster. It’s all systems go at this stage and long may it continue that way!