- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Kevin still on the up
- Updated: March 1, 2011
Kevin Anderson continues his climb up the ATP tennis rankings.
The top-ranked South African player reached the quarter-finals of the Delray Beach International in California at the weekend, going down to eventual winner Juan Martin del Potro.
His exploits see him move one place up to 39th on the ATP rankings, his highest ranking yet.
Next best South African Izak van der Merwe slipped down seven spots to 147th but Rik de Voest went up four spots to slot in at 160th.
Meanwhile our top-ranked women’s player, Chani Scheepers, has dropped down the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings.
Ranked 68th recently, her highest ranking to date, she slipped 10 spots down to 78th. Our next best player is some way off the pace. Despite moving up 37th spots, Chanel Simmonds is currently ranked 306th.
Scheepers left Johannesburg on Tuesday, headed for the United States. Said coach Roger Anderson: “She’ll play three tournaments — Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston. We’ll then stay on in the States and train for two weeks on clay before heading to Europe for the clay-court season.”