- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Big road win for Karien
- Updated: February 28, 2011
Team USN’s Karien van Jaarsveld showed she’s as capable a road cyclist as she is a mountain biker when she captured victory at the Macsteel Carnival City Classic 103-kilometre road race in Springs, southeast of Johannesburg, on Sunday.
It was the first major road race victory for the 29-year-old Van Jaarsveld, who skipped the MTN Sabie mountain bike marathon on Saturday in order to have a less stressful weekend in her build-up to next month’s ABSA Cape Epic.
ÔÇ£It turned out to be a good decision,ÔÇØ smiled a delighted van Jaarsveld. ÔÇ£I just needed a break from travelling more than anything else, and felt a local road race would give me a nice intense workout.ÔÇØ
Intense it was, as the women started in Category 2 with the 40-plus Veteran men, one of the most competitive categories in domestic road racing.
ÔÇ£It was quite a flat race and even though there was some wind, no attacks were successful and it ended with a big bunch sprint,ÔÇØ explained Van Jaarsveld. ÔÇ£It was a chaotic sprint with a lot of ‘argy-bargy’. You had to really keep you wits about you in order to be in contention for the win.ÔÇØ
Van Jaarsveld has teamed up with British marathon champion, Sally Bigham, for the Cape Epic, adding depth to what promises to be a competitive women’s category.
1 Karien van Jaarsveld (Team USN) 2hr 22min 54sec
2 Charlotte van der Merwe (MTN Qhubeka)
3 Lynette Burger (Nashua Toyota)
4 Leandri du Toit (Nashua Toyota Academy)
5 Isabel Moolman (Mr Price Cycling Club)
6 Jeaun-Mari Breytenbach (MTN Qhubeka)
7 Robyn de Groot (Nashua Toyota)
8 An-Li Pretorius (MTN Qhubeka)
9 Ilema Fourie
10 Joanna van de Winkel (Nashua Toyota) all same time